OT? Free as in "Freedom", *is* different (was: Re: Microsoft to train 2 million people FREE)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Feb 24 01:13:58 MST 2009

Their is a great deal of truth in what you say.  I am all for using closed
source products when applicable, but their is nothing like knowing that you
can really own something.  That if you spend five years building all you
processes around a software product that no mater what happens, if that
product has become so intrinsically valuable to you or your company, that
you can do with it what ever you want, including employing your own code
monkeys to support it.  Though, in all practicality I have never seen this
happen, it is still something to consider and weigh in your decision making
process.  However, as I am tying to explain in another thread, it should not
be the only consideration.

Another point is is you are using a product and find documentation lacking.
Once you figure out what you needed to know, document and submit it.  Or try
to help improve existing documentation.

  _____