OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re:newhotness?)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Tue Feb 24 00:18:26 MST 2009

Ok, lets talk lockin.  Perhaps you can tell me how using Exchange is any
different then using any other product, like groupware. If I move off of
Exchange I can get every email, every calendar item, every contact, every
task and every note out and into other system.  I can not tell how often I
have done this for people who have left different companies.  However, if I
am moving from groupware to a combination of dotproject, dotcrm, and bug
tracker it is going to be a bloody nightmare to migrate my data!  Just
because it is MS does not mean you can toss out the datalock/vender lock
card.  You are only as locked in as you chose to be, but your data can be
easily migrated.  As for as F/OOS not providing a single source, that has
been one of it's major problems.  Why do you think RH & SuSE are so popular
in the corporate world, and to a lesser extent Ubuntu on the desktop, while
slackware is in the hands of mostly die hard techno geeks?  As far as that
goes I can use Exchange just for email and use another product for
calendaring and another for contacts, but the fact that you have to for your
solutions seems to make it better some how?  Do you know how much it costs
to develop and implement custom solutions where you are the one doing the
integration and veding?  Not to mention the cost of training users on dozens
of different applications?  With regards to your spell checker argument,
windows has unified spell checking (Since XPsp1 I believe) and well
documented spell checking API's, however it is willing to let you implement
your own.  If you write your own because you don't want to use what ever the
user selected as their chosen spell checker on a windows system it is your
business as a programmer, but one exists.  Just like it does on the Mac
(Though the default on the Mac is far, far better then the default on a
windows system)  As far as restoration, on exchange the user would restore
his own mail box once deleted, not you. It is 3 mouse clicks of effort. Now
that said, at a VP level, the cost for them to do almost anything themselves
is so high I should say their personal assistant would restore it for them
;)

Again, you can not disconsider a product as "bad" just because its is a
closed or costs for licensing.  They need to be evaluated on their own
merits and weighed agenst their competitors.  Cost is one of those factors,
as is the ownership of the software, but they are not the only factors.