OT:Exchange good? - And the flame wars begin (Was:Re: new hotness?)

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Feb 23 23:29:44 MST 2009

True Office can be expensive.  When purchased OEM it typically drops from
$200 to $60 (or free depending on how desperate our Dell rep was that day)
But we are just looking at outlook, so $30 is about rite.  As for kind of
licensing I did users, since we had about 1.25 machines per user.  You don't
need MSSQL to operate exchange, but if you get the SBSP edition it comes
part and parcel.  Licensing compliance is a sunk cost if you have to set up
and maintain the licensing for any product including the OS and any core
products used to run the business, such as the accounting software,
production management, warranty service, etc., etc.  So while it is a real
cost, it should be one most medium businesses have already incurred.
However, if not and it is not required then it really does need to be
considered in the Exchange purchasing decision.