OT:Exchange good

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Feb 23 11:07:16 MST 2009

You make some very good points.  The first is that we are comparing apples
to oranges.  I could not agree more, Exchange and its prospective
replacements are not mere mail systems.  For example you solution for a mail
system does not take into account any of the PIM/Collaboration requirements
exchange users demand. The second point you make is that people recommend
solutions they are already failure with.  The old adage to this is the
correct way to do something is they way you know how to get it done.  Which
is why many admins are constantly looking for new tools. This is also why I
am looking for an alterative to Exchange.  As for Admins need to be admins,
this too is very true, however admins are expansive.  A good one run you a
minimum of $30/hour, in the end TOC and ROI are all far more important the
techno bling. That said for pay and turn key solution are occasional a far
better way to go.  The responsibility of the IT/IS professional is to ad
value not bragging rites.  That said, remember that the real Exchange
replacement of Zimbra is a closed source proprietary for pay solution, if I
was a pure nix/mac shop using ldap and krb I would use it instead of
exchange.  However if I was working in an almost pure MS shop I would still
recommend Exchange.  Then again, if you really did not require much more
then mail, I may recommend outsourcing your mail solution or using postfix.
It is about the rite tool for the job and I believe Exchange can be the rite
tool. However, I thank you for the Horde, Kolab, Open-Xchange suggestions.
I have looked hard at Open-Xchange before and it fell short in several
places.  Not the least of which was the price (again, not as open as the
name may imply) I will look into the other two.  And while I understand
peoples dislike for Microsoft, I also feel it clouds peoples judgment of
Exchange.  And I defend it only because the implication that any one who
chooses an MS solution is not a good admin.  Of course I lost a job
opportunity with Scottsdale PD because I lean heavily to Linux and did  not
believe in a pure MS shop, so I get reamed from both camps and have become
somewhat used to it ;)