Is there a gmail customizing "front end"

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Feb 22 18:42:24 MST 2009

Look at the features in labs.  Some of what you want can be accomplished via the current labs options and simply minimizing sections in the left-hand column that you don't want (i.e. sign out of chat to make that section shrink to 3 lines).
The couple bits not modifiable (like the Google navbar at the top) are probably going to remain no matter what.
The web-clips (right above the message list) have always been optional, control them from the Web Clips tab in settings.