OT:Switch boosts ethernet?

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Thu Feb 19 11:21:01 MST 2009

If this were a casual situation, we might do what you suggest.  But
using a cable that is too long is known to be a source of intermittent
and odd problems.  In this situation we'd rather do it right once and
not worry about errors happening when we least want them.

This is a pretty good if not detailed explanation of the length limit:
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/cablng.htm

Basically, as I understand it, when the Ethernet sender ships out the
packet it will wait for an acknowledge from the destination.  The
signals running through the cable are very, very fast but are not
instant to the other end.  When the cable is too long, the sender
could declare a time out on the acknowledge and resend before the
destination gets the packet.  Collisions or other problems could then
ensue.  So, theoretically, it does not matter much how "good" the
cable is because the limit is based propagation of the signals.

Alan