bulk rename pod1 > pod2 needed

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 09:08:15 MST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Dennis Kibbe <dennisk at sdf.lonestar.org>wrote:

> Can someone suggest a way to rename a directory of files like this:
>
> ccna.pod1.pc1.ext is renamed to ccna.pod2.pc1.ext
> ccna.pod2.pc1.ext is renamed to ccna.pod3.pc1.ext
>
> and so on.
>
> (Aside: Hans, if I were able to take your scripting class I won't be asking
> this now. :-)
>
> Dennisk
>
> --
> "Free as in Freedom"
> Free Software Foundation

Actually, if the original specification is correct, probably none of the
solutions proposed is likely to work.  It appears that the target name for
the first rename is the same as the source for the second.  If this were
true one would have to ensure that rename or move operations were done in an
order to avoid attempts to overwrite existing names.

--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that
is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to