Hung in VirtualBox. Why?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Feb 11 13:22:01 MST 2009

From: "kitepilot at kitepilot.com"
> This has worked before.  I've done it 9568705738563 times in real machines
> and VMWare machines.  First time in VBox though...

> I got a computer and rsync(ed) everything to a filesystem in a VBox
machine.
> GRUB(ed) it without problems as I've done countless times.
> The VBox machine, boots, GRUBs, and hangs on:
> Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel.
> My first take is an initrd problem, but why?

This almost certainly means the kernel or initrd didn't load properly.  The
filesystem on / is a red herring; it'd say different stuff starting with
"Linux kernel 2.6.9-78el4 blah blah..." if the kernel loaded right.  Check
the grub.conf stanza, make sure its kernel and initrd lines don't have any
tyops in them.  Also that both the kernel and initrd files are fine (have
the same md5sums as their sources, etc.)

> I created the filesystem with mke2fs in Kubuntu 8.10, while the machine I am

> copying from is a 2.6.9 kernel Red Hat

ext23 is backwards combatible to an insane degree, and my own adventures with
custom kernels make me think you'd see screenfuls of boot messages before the
"kernel panic: cannot mount / on 08:03" if it were a filesystem thing.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows