Hung in VirtualBox. Why?

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Wed Feb 11 10:27:59 MST 2009

Hello collective intelligence (REALLY? :)

This is the short story:
This has worked before.  I've done it 9568705738563 times in real machines
and VMWare machines.  First time in VBox though...

I got a computer and rsync(ed) everything to a filesystem in a VBox machine.
GRUB(ed) it without problems as I've done countless times.
Partitions match, and fstab matches, but we'll never get there anyway...

The VBox machine, boots, GRUBs, and hangs on:

Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel.

My first take is an initrd problem, but why?

More details:
I created the filesystem with mke2fs in Kubuntu 8.10, while the machine I am
copying from is a 2.6.9 kernel Red Hat (I'm no familiar with Red Hat) and
E2fsprogs is 7 minors older (.35 to .41)
Any ideas?
I'm lost...   :(
Thanks!
Enrique A. Troconis