Converting ext3 to ext4 - results (Re: ext3 vs ext4)

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri Feb 6 11:48:41 MST 2009

Bob Elzer wrote:
> In you timings, you say e2fsck now runs twice as fast. My impression was you
> are using this to say ext4 is twice as fast now. Having a fsck timing before
> you started would have shown us the real difference between fsck checks.

Yeah I had meant twice as fast as the initial painful one, but you are
right that isn't really helpful in comparing it to how long it takes on
ext3. We will have more data when I convert the other parition which I
am about to do.
> Thus I was pointing out, this would be false based on what each fsck was
> actually doing at the time.
>
> Knowing that it takes about an hour to convert 1TB of data on a 2TB drive,
> is very informative.

Indeed.  Im curious to see how long it takes to defragment as well,
which isn't a big deal I guess since the defrag can be done on a live mount.
> Knowing, that tune2fs makes a little change and then fsck spits out a bunch
> of errors, which would scare a lot of people, is also informative. It made
> you nervous, but now the rest of us know not to panic when we see it.

Yeah all of those errors are "normal", as it is just complaining that
the checksums are not there yet. Can be scary if you are unaware of
that, especially since you could lose 2TB of data.
> And I presume your data is ok, or we would have heard something, so knowing
> the conversion works is also informative.

Yep everything was fine afterwards. I actually use encfs on top of that
partition, and it was unaffected as well as the unencrypted files and dirs.

-Charles