Converting ext3 to ext4 - results (Re: ext3 vs ext4)

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Fri Feb 6 11:15:34 MST 2009

Bob Elzer wrote:
> This is informative, but I don't think the timing can be ruled accurate.

Accurate as compared to what? I was just showing what it did on my
system so that people could get a *rough* idea of how long it would take
to convert a large partition.
> As I read your step, At first I thought tune2fs quit because it found
> something wrong, and told you to run e2fsck first.
>
> But further reading says, tune2fs makes a change, and then has e2fsck do all
> the grunt work converting.

Yes the first fsck after the conversion is the long slow one.
> Your timings will be off, because the first e2fsck was doing all the hard
> work, it was finding all the checksums and recalculating them for ext4, and
> then writing them back to disk.

Timings will be off of what? I guess you mean if you have less or more
data it could take longer or shorter to convert (more inodes to muck
around with).
> Thus you have all the I/O writes which adds a lot more time, then just
> reads. Writing is slow compared to just reading, and it's not a big block of
> writing, it lots of little
Yes.  My RAID is hardware RAID5.  For a single disk or striped array it
would probably go a bit faster.
> It would have been nice to have an fsck before the tune2fs.

yeah I should have done that...I still have /raid1 to convert, which is
exactly the same size.  I will do an fsck on that one first.

-Charles

Charles R. Jones II
IT Team Lead/Senior Systems Engineer
Cisco Learning Institute IT Dept