ext3 vs ext4

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Thu Feb 5 16:53:32 MST 2009

Nathan England wrote:
> Hello Hello,
>
> I have been looking for a review of ext3 vs ext4 since ext4 became official... I
> can only find older reviews using early or later ext4dev but not the official
> ext4. Anyone know of any? Am I not digging into google far enough?
>
> In short, is it worth wiping a hard drive and re-installing to use ext4?
I setup a couple of servers with ext4 just for fun. Here are some things
I noted:
* Cannot use ext4 for /boot
* Since using ext4 that limits the usage of handy rescue tools (until
they are updated to support ext4).

As far as being faster, it "felt" faster, but could be placebo effect
:)  I didn't actually do any bonnie++ runs or anything.
Sorry I don't have more info for ya.

-Charles