OT: Windows 7 breakdown of SKU's (or how to box yourself)

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Wed Feb 4 10:51:14 MST 2009

>> Jason writes:
>> I love how my Linux will do anything I want...
>> all I need to do is find the right package.

Linux has many things to love...
I'm Montreal doing some work and I brought with me a couple of laptops, a
switch, a VoIP box (and a telephone) and a bunch of straight and cross
cables.

Free wireless in the hotel.
Good...   :)
But you have to enter a code in a browser for the connection to work.
Bad...    :(

Well, as usual, I forgot to bring with me a bridge and a router, so:
what do I do to connect my VoIP?

LINUX TO THE RESCUE!!!

1.- Connect the wireless laptop to the network.
2.- Connect the VoIP the the laptop's Ethernet with a cross cable (maybe a
straight will work, duno...)
3.- Download a free (an LEGAL), proven, reliable, industrial-grade DHCP
server (try that on windoze, good luck...)
4.- Configure a couple of iptable rules to forward and NAT the VoIP packets
(so the hotel doesn't ask for another code that you can't place into the
VoIP anyway)

And (drum roll)
I can talk the night away...   :)

I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY luv Linux...