NOT OT: re plain text vs HTML

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 10:31:13 MST 2009

Technomage wrote:
>There are, in fact, a few of us (like me) who use text only readers for
>various reasons (such as visual impairment) and html formatted messages
>are definitely the bane of out existence.
>
>its been proper etiquette on the internet since its inception that mail
>usually is plain text and if you wish to send media (pictures, etc) that
>its attached (in mime printable form). this may seem archaic, but it
>generally works out well for most of us.
>
>now my client here can read html formatted messages, but the speech
>device will not read me the output, instead it will read the underlying
>source of the text (which gets noisy, frustrating, and tends to have me
>filter such without even reading it)
>
>I, for one, have a problem with such mails and tend to filter them into
>the junk box. if anything important gets in there, its gone (if its
>really important, the sender will have sent as plain text with an html
>attachment <preferred>. this way, I can still read it and those with
>extra features can use the html to their own contentment).
>
>sorry of I may seem a bit terse toward those using html formatted text
>messages, but you folks should be aware there are almost 30 million
>others like me and we would rather not have our lives made any harder
>than it already is.

Finally a good reason to use plain text as opposed to reasons to avoid
HTML.  I confess this had not occurred to me.  I would have think that
modern text readers would read HTML embedded text without source tags
etc. even had I thought about it.  If there are not, there certainly
need to be.  Sounds like an opportunity for someone.

I use gmail for this list and a few other things.  gmail really has no
formatting means for plain text which is one reason to prefer the
"Rich formatting" option.  To even include technomages comment as
"quoted" I had to manually insert the symbols on each line.  Other
email clients offer more formatting tools for plain text.  Sounds like
a suggestion to send to google.

For most email I use Thunderbird.  Thunderbird has an option that says
"When sending messages in HTML and one or more recipients are not
listed as being able to receive HTML:"
- Ask me what to do
- Convert the message to plain text
- Send the message in HTML anyway
- Send the message in both plain text and HTML

I think the last option is the default, but all I know for sure is
that is what mine is set to.  I never checked whether that means it
sends both to all recipients or separate sends for plain text
recipients.  Would that email had something similar.

**** Technomage, do you know if your reader works right for a message
that Thunderbird sends with that 4th option?

The Tbird address book allows you to specify for each recipient what
format they prefer.  I notice also that the send options in
Thunderbird allow format selection based on the destination domain.
Mine shows a number of domains under HTML, but none under Plain Text
--
Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only
animal that is struck with the difference between what things are and