itsy bitsy CRM .. open and free

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Thu Dec 31 14:25:52 MST 2009

Centric was recently renamed to Concursive (www.concursive.com), and it's not going to run well on a laptop.  It's still a fairly simple install if you have basic Java skills (you have to build it from source to use the AGPL version), but it's still a web-based server, not a client application.
I don't think any full CRM will run well on a laptop, since they all want to be a web service, and running a server on a laptop is not a good idea (not to mention the privacy/goodwill nightmare a lost laptop would cause).
If you're really trying to do this on a laptop, a SAAS solution (like salesforce.com) is going to be a MUCH better choice, since then it doesn't matter what you access the service with, and you don't need to worry about a theft or loss of the laptop taking a big chunk of your business (and all of your customer trust) with it.  The per-user costs for a small business are lower, on an annual basis, than the cost of a server, backups, etc...

If you insist on keeping the entire business contact list on a laptop (what business is this, so I can avoid ever giving them any of my information?), then it sounds like what you might want is an advanced contact manager, not a full CRM.
There are a few simple contact management systems incorporated into the KDE and Gnome desktops, but I still haven't found anything that can compare to the proprietary ACT! for this use-case, unfortunately.  The closest would be the Golden Rules Organized (http://www.golden-rules.org/), which is free-as-in-beer, but NOT open source.