OT: (sorta) (or, IS it?) [slashdot.org]: Linux: Happy Birthday, Linus

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Dec 29 12:07:16 MST 2009

"But we need people to look at it, smell it, and make their
suggestions for improvement and feel, genuinely, like they were part
of the process."  -Eric S. Raymond, OSDL co-founder and president
emeritus

Of course, Raymond was discussing Open Source Licensing Initiatives,
not Linus' chair.

The whole cubicle smelled like a well washed Finnish child, cleverly
disguised as a responsible adult, playing in FOSS heaven, which was
OSDL in the early 2000's.

Actually, Torvalds' worked from home as a fellow for the Open Source
Development Lab, then a corporate-funded consortium created to foster
improvements to Linux.  Linus rarely worked from his cubicle, his
brand new desk and chair smelled of fine modern fiber weave....

Linus sightings are common in Oregon.  When I attended LinuxCon 2009,
he still smelled like childish enthusiasm, health and FOSS heaven.