Help - Just Hosed My Grub 2 Install and Can't Boot

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Dec 28 20:20:06 MST 2009

Simple Grub2 changes :

conf.d style
file location
configuration recipes
partition notation like grub legacy
change script boot order by changing numbers
os prober (find installs on disks)
install even while booted into OS

   1. /etc/default/grub - the file containing GRUB 2 menu settings.
   2. /etc/grub.d/ - the directory containing GRUB 2 menu creating scripts.
   3. /boot/grub/grub.cfg - the GRUB 2 configuration file, not editable.

update-grub command reads the /etc/grub.d directory and looks for
executable scripts inside it. The scripts are read, in the order of
their numbering, and written into the grub.cfg file, along with the
menu settings read from the /etc/default/grub file.

Boot entries come from several sources - the default that comes with
the distribution, other operating systems probed on the connected
disks and custom scripts written by the user, following a strict
syntax. The scripts are written as shell (sh).

You can add/remove entries by simply chmod-ing the scripts; no need to
delete them. GRUB 2 can be reinstalled anytime you want, even while
booted in the OS

GRUB 2 targets at the following goals:

    * Scripting support, such as conditionals, loops, variables and functions.
    * Graphical interface.
    * Dynamic loading of modules in order to extend itself at the run
time rather than at the build time.
    * Portability for various architectures.
    * Internationalization. This includes support for non-ASCII
character code, message catalogs like gettext, fonts, graphics
console, and so on.
    * Real memory management, to make GNU GRUB more extensible.
    * Modular, hierarchical, object-oriented framework for file
systems, files, devices, drives, terminals, commands, partition tables
and OS loaders.
    * Cross-platform installation which allows for installing GRUB
from a different architecture.
    * Rescue mode saves unbootable cases. Stage 1.5 was eliminated.
    * Fix design mistakes in GRUB Legacy, which could not be solved
for backward-compatibility, such as the way of numbering partitions.

My experience is from Suse 11.0 BTW....

Reference:  http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-2.en.html