network woes

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Wed Dec 23 09:36:43 MST 2009

Trent Shipley wrote:
> Eric Shubert wrote:
>> Trent Shipley wrote:

>>> I have "rebuilt" the network a couple of times from the modem up.  My
>>> suspicion is focused on the Ubuntu desktop because of the coincidence
>>> that the problem started with a major upgrade.
>>>
>>> Yes. We have the following on the network ... not all at the same time.
>>> * Qwest modem, outside the firewall.
>>> * Netgear wired/802.11g wireless router. No evident problems with
>>> wireless connections.
>>> * Ubuntu 9.10 on Dell hardware.  Wired connection. (Main suspect)
>>> Thinking about putting in a new Ethernet card since I have it "in stock"
>>> anyway and it's doing me no good in the box.
>>> * Apple notebook.  Wired connection.
>>> ** Windows Vista.  Have seen some symptoms.
>>> ** OS X.  mild symptoms.
>>> * Apple notebook.  Wireless.  No known symptoms.
>>> * Apple iMac. Wireless  No known symptoms.
>>> * (Occasional) HP netbook running Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix.  Wireless.
>>>   No known symptoms.
>> That's helpful.
>>
>> I really doubt the upgrade was a cause of any kind, given that your
>> Apple notebook (other wired) connection also experiences problems.
>>
>> Have you tried alternate wired ports on the Netgear router? Sometimes a
>> single port/plug can be defective. The whole wired side of the router
>> might be failing as well.
>
> I have tried swapping wires and ports.  It doesn't seem to help.
>
>> Do you have a switch you can put in place of the wireless router to see
>> if the problem persists?
>
> I don't have a spare switch.  Of course switches aren't too expensive.
> I just don't have much use for it outside of testing unless I change my
> network architecture to something like,
> * Router
> ** Wired switch
> *** wired computers.

I don't think that'll buy you anything, especially if the wired part of
your router is hosed. I would try something more like this:
* DSL modem
** Wired switch
*** wired computers
*** wireless router

FWIW, this isn't really the best from a security standpoint, but I don't
think it's any less secure than what you have now.

>> Does your DSL modem do dhcp/nat? (most do these days)
>>

> The DSL modem definitely does dhcp.  I do not know if NAT is being done
> by the modem or the router.

Probably both. That's not necessarily a problem. You don't want both the
DSL modem and the router providing dhcp on the same subnet though.

--
-Eric 'shubes'