network woes

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Dec 23 08:07:44 MST 2009

Slow network connections can be due to problems with DNS, as well as CRC
errors in the device stack.

Start by verifying you have link lights on all cards and devices.

Then Check (send output to your helper of choice or the list):

DNS:
"dig hostname"
/etc/resolv.conf  Command: "nslookup hostname"

DEVICE stack:
"dmesg | more"
ifconfig -a [verify you have a loopback address]
stop and start your network manager or ifup ifdown device
"ifconfig eth1"
"eth-tool eth0"

TCP/IP and routes:
"/sbin/traceroute 192.168.1.1"
"ping 192.168.1.1"
netstat -rn [verify you have a default route]

And update your "router" firmware either via script or via puppet or
cfengine on your Netgear regularly - these are often exploited with
overflows and scripts to replace with custom firmware.  You won't always see
the effects, but sometimes some of your web based management interface will
not work.  You will also see strange ports open on them if you use:

"nmap 192.168.1.1"

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 4:53 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com <
kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:

> This:
> >> It comes back if I log out of my X session and log back in
> Doesn't make any sense...
> Contact me off list and I'll help you over the phone.
> ET
>
> PS: I am on EST.
>

> Trent Shipley writes:
>
> > Somewhere my connection to the Internet is borken.  Load times take
> > forever.  It doesn't seem to effect the wireless client routers, but I
> > have had trouble on both the wired machines under Ubuntu 9.10 and
> > Windows Vista.  Sometimes the Linux machine effectively looses
> > connectivity with the Internet.  It comes back if I log out of my X
> > session and log back in ... most of the time.  I have a firewall router,
> > but effectively no household LAN since I've been too lazy to really
> > figure out how to configure the Ubuntu desktop machine as a primary
> > domain controller, then adjust it's firewall to suit.
> >

> > I'd like an idiot friendly tool to help track this problem down,
> > preferably on the Linux machine which seems to experience the problem
> > most consistently.
> >
> > Baring a GUI tool friendly to mortal users, I am not above using the
> > @#$% command line and a text editor.
> >

> > I am not too network savvy.  I have to look up the layers of the OSI
> > stack every time.  What is a reasonable diagnostic or fault tree for
> > approaching my symptoms.
> >
> > It is also worth noting that this problem seems to date back to
> > precisely when I upgraded from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10.

Skype: (623)239-3392
AT&T: (503)754-4452
www.it-clowns.com
Only the dead have seen the end of war. -Plato