network woes

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Dec 22 19:56:31 MST 2009

Trent Shipley wrote:
> Benjamin Francom wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Mark Phillips
>> <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:
>>> Trent,
>>>
>>> I ran into a similar problem today - my network slowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down
>>> on me. All I used was ping to methodically to check all the connections and
>>> found that a switch was reseting itself and dropping packets. Basically, I
>>> turn everything off, reset all the routers, cable modems, etc, and then turn
>>> on one piece of equipment at a time and ping to the main router to see if I
>>> can connect and if there is any packet loss. You can find a out a lot of
>>> information by being methodical and knowing your network topology.
>>>
>>> Good Luck!
>>>
>>> Mark

>> Unplug all devices for at least one min.  Start with modem and work
>> your way up to the PC
>> The Vista and Ubuntu machines are separate machines, not a single dual
>> boot, right?
>>
>> tracert=windows
>> traceroute=linux
>
> I have "rebuilt" the network a couple of times from the modem up.  My
> suspicion is focused on the Ubuntu desktop because of the coincidence
> that the problem started with a major upgrade.
>
> Yes. We have the following on the network ... not all at the same time.
> * Qwest modem, outside the firewall.
> * Netgear wired/802.11g wireless router. No evident problems with
> wireless connections.
> * Ubuntu 9.10 on Dell hardware.  Wired connection. (Main suspect)
> Thinking about putting in a new Ethernet card since I have it "in stock"
> anyway and it's doing me no good in the box.
> * Apple notebook.  Wired connection.
> ** Windows Vista.  Have seen some symptoms.
> ** OS X.  mild symptoms.
> * Apple notebook.  Wireless.  No known symptoms.
> * Apple iMac. Wireless  No known symptoms.
> * (Occasional) HP netbook running Ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix.  Wireless.
>   No known symptoms.

That's helpful.

I really doubt the upgrade was a cause of any kind, given that your
Apple notebook (other wired) connection also experiences problems.

Have you tried alternate wired ports on the Netgear router? Sometimes a
single port/plug can be defective. The whole wired side of the router
might be failing as well.

Do you have a switch you can put in place of the wireless router to see
if the problem persists?

Does your DSL modem do dhcp/nat? (most do these days)

--
-Eric 'shubes'