[PLUG] Anyone using Zimbra dot com?

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at linux-etc.com
Thu Dec 17 14:20:25 MST 2009

----- Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> My ISP (mediacom) apparently switched their email systems to zimbra
> and
> things have not worked right ever since.  Service has been
> intermittent and
> poor at best for a week now.  Zimbra.com claims to service 50 million
> paid
> email accounts so I have a hard time believing this is so bad
> inherently.  I
> am thinking it is all poor planning and execution of the switchover
> and with
> no fallback plan.
>
> But I thought some of you might have experience with Zimbra that you
> could
> share.

Linux ETC is a Zimbra VAR and Solutions Provider for SMBs in Denver, Colorado.  We have been supporting and using it for our clients since v4.5.x days (the latest release is v6.0.4 coming out this week).

I will concur with another comment about Zimbra being a resource hog.  It uses Java a bit on the user interface side, which I personally think is much of the reason.  Though for the lay person, general usage and administration of it via the web console is easy.

What could be happening as you have guessed is a poor migration as well as not knowing what resources would be needed for an adequate implementation.  There are certain tools that Zimbra engineers and techs can provide for better and successful implementations.  However, if it is a DIY project things like this can be missed and stuff happens.

As for the comment on the licenses Zimbra is under the Yahoo Public License (http://www.zimbra.com/license/yahoo_public_license_1.1.html ) for the source code format and the Zimbra Public End-user License Agreement (EULA; http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra_public_eula_2.2.html ) for the binaries of the Open Source version.  For the various enterprise editions, they do require user licenses at a fee.  I cannot personally comment on the specifics of those licenses without reviewing them in more detail, but for those who are curious, have at it. :-)

HTH some.  If you wish for your ISP to contact us directly to assist with any issues you have noticed unresolved, feel free to contact me directly off list. ;-)

PS: I get this list in Digest format so pardon any delayed responses in advance.

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA