hdd ide to sata; which way to go

betty nicepenguin at webcanine.com
Wed Dec 16 20:26:27 MST 2009

This is the last forum for my research on this project, everyone's
advice here has always been most helpful. Although i haven't needed too
much advice lately (since linux is sooo stable !)

I have an old pentium 3 with ide  hdd that i have been using for many
years. It is a little slow (to say the least) especially running
multiple apps.
I was just given a dell optiplex mini form factor w/pentium 4 and sata
drive connectors. (*no hdd*).
It looks like there are two options here;

 i can get ide to sata connectors and use my old drive so nothing really
changes and it seems easy, however the hdd is old (maybe 10 years) so i
risk eventual hardware failure.
or
i can get a sata drive and copy everything to it. seems best way to me.
not that much more expensive. will last longer  etc.

question: if i go for option two, is there a way to copy (like mirror)
my old drive stuff to the new one so it works and looks the same to
me???, if so how do i do that? (the old computer does not have a working
cdrw)
or do i need to do a new install and copy my files over :(

thanks for your patience and help in advance.

--
betty i.
www.webcanine.com