SOT: virtualization

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 21:23:55 MST 2009

for my experience. virtual box is a cute foray into virtualization but
i run into a few things. I rathe rlike xeon if i have harware set
aside and its allot more compatible than ESXi is. but for a VM on Os
combination vmware is still the most compatible in the market and they
have been doing it the longest, additionally they have the most robust
virtual switching avialble that i have seen.

I have a xenserver running at home and like it, i have vmware and
xenserver running in production at work (in addition to hyperV ugh)
and i have worked with virtual box as well.

and xenserver/vmware are the winners in my book.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Trent Shipley <tshipley at deru.com> wrote:
> (SOT: somewhat off topic)
>

> I want to set up a Windows lab computer.  I want to work with XP, Vista,
> and Win7.  On an MS list it was suggested that I use virtualization
> rather than multiboot.
>

> I'm thinking I'd run a Linux distro natively,  run FOSS virtualization
> software on Linux, and run the three MS OSes as guests.
>

> What is a good Linux distro?  Will I need a server distribution or can I
> run a desktop distribution?
>

> What are FOSS choices for the virtualization software?

Stephen