SOT: virtualization

Technomage technomage.hawke at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:46:39 MST 2009

Trent,
of the major distro's, debian 5.0 has the least troubles right now and
is therefore, probably the
best for your needs currently. Others like Fedora or Opensuse have
package dependency
problems and are a little more difficult to develop on properly.

Fedora: forces you to run SELINUX regardless of whether you need it or not

Opensuse: tends to run cutting edge ("bleeding edge") packages and will
tend to break older installs.
Their upgrade system is horribly broken currently, so its not a good
idea to upgrade older opensuse
systems.

I recently had such problems with opensuse (settings not being
maintained across reboots, services failing
to start, etc) that I have completely written off this community project
as anywhere near viable.

Debian does have a "basic developers package setup" that makes it
relatively easy to setup and maintain a
basic developers environment.

As for vmware, get the server 1.x versions (freely available). they tend
to have better performance and a
remote console that works. vmware 2.x did away with the remote console
and is also optimized for use
under windows (as the host OS). I find their web interface clunky and
very slow to respond. there are also some
features missing in 2.x that were present in 1.x.