Burning Mp3 Music files to cd in linux?

Stu wien33 at cox.net
Sun Dec 13 06:34:57 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-12-12 at 07:47 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Stu <wien33 at cox.net> wrote:
>

>         Hi Mike,
>                As for the hardware, the drive itself, just about any
>         will work, but
>         definitely READ THE BOX that it comes in! Some of the newer
>         CD/DVD
>         drives come with a security feature built into them that
>         limits how you
>         can burn disks. I've never bought one personally to try it out
>         because
>         the mere mention of any sort of built-in DRM security scares
>         me off, and
>         they have a bunch of them on sale at the Phoenix FRY's
>         Electronics right
>         now. I've had good luck with all the ones I bought from
>         Geeks.com and
>         Newegg.com, (usually LG brand).
>
> Stu,
>
> Can you give any more info about what to look for on the box or any
> specific make/models that have that "feature"?
>
> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
> occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
>  - Thomas Jefferson

	Mike,
	I tried to find out about it on line, but I didn't see anything
specific enough to jog my memory. I can't remember the make of the drive
or the name of the built in DRM scheme, but they list it on the box like
it's some sort of special bonus feature. The blurb on the box states
that it specifically prevents copying protected content, like they put
it on there to protect you from *accidentally* copying something
illegally. If you read the box, it's pretty obvious.
	Then again, I may be all wet. It might be something built into the
driver software that won't affect the drive's use in Linux at all.
	Like I said, Fry's has a bunch of them on sale right now. I picked one
up and looked at it, but as soon as I read the part about the DRM, I put
it back and forgot about it. After having to put up with the old
Regional Schemes and such that wouldn't let me play my legally acquired
PAL disks, I won't touch anything that even smells like DRM. The good
news is that for the time being, there doesn't seem to be a lot of
drives that have this feature.