Burning Mp3 Music files to cd in linux?

Stu wien33 at cox.net
Sat Dec 12 02:13:53 MST 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 20:57 -0700, mike Enriquez wrote:
> Can anyone in the group recommend a cd burner to use in Linux.  I would
> like to burn Mp3 music files to play in my car and other computers.
> Is this possible? What is everyone else using?
> Burning music files is something new for me don't assume I know anything.
> Thanks
> Mike Enriquez

Hi Mike,
	As for the hardware, the drive itself, just about any will work, but
definitely READ THE BOX that it comes in! Some of the newer CD/DVD
drives come with a security feature built into them that limits how you
can burn disks. I've never bought one personally to try it out because
the mere mention of any sort of built-in DRM security scares me off, and
they have a bunch of them on sale at the Phoenix FRY's Electronics right
now. I've had good luck with all the ones I bought from Geeks.com and
Newegg.com, (usually LG brand).
	For software, I use K3B which runs well on every Linux OS I've tried
regardless of the desktop being Gnome or KDE, or whatever else. It was
broken on Ubuntu 9.10 when it first came out, but the first update
corrected the issue.
	Most Gnome based distros tend to default to Basero Disk Burner which
also works well and is incredibly easy to use. It works with the
Nautilus File manager, so you pretty much just drop the files you want
to burn into the CD/DVD drive file manager window, click the burn
button, and Basero usually takes care of the rest as far as deciding
what type of disk to burn.
	I just did a data recovery for a friend of mine (Why yes, it was a
Windows XP computer now that you mention it!), and I used both K3B and
Basero to burn it off onto DVDs for him - all 43 Gb of it, most of which
was music in MP3, WMA, M4a and M4p (iTunes) formats, and everything
worked for him on his new 7 box, but they won't work in a CD player. If
you want to burn music CDs, make sure your software is burning them as
music files, and not as Data files.