Linux Mint distro

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Wed Dec 9 10:49:10 MST 2009

On Dec 9, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Paul Mooring wrote:

> Eric Shubert wrote:
>> There was mention of Mint on the list back in August. I ran into
>> someone
>> tonight who said he really likes it. I see that it's moving up the
>> distrowatch list and now sits at #3, above openSUSE(#4) and
>> Mandriva(#5).
>>
>> Anyone here with any experience or insights about it that they'd
>> like to
>> share?
>>

> I try it a while ago, and remember liking it ok.  I think it's based
> off
> Ubuntu, and when I used it not much was different beside cosmetic
> changes (although the default background, themes, ect. looked much
> better than ubuntu in my opinion).  These days I don't much care for
> ubuntu so by extension I don't like mint much, but I think if you like
> ubuntu you would likely feel the same about mint.

Been thinking about trying Mint as well.  I think it's supposed to be
Ubuntu, plus a bunch of proprietary media codecs and etc.  For looks,
I really like Xubuntu at the moment.  The default blue & black theme
is a lot nicer than Ubuntu's default brown, and XFCE is great for
older hardware.

Just noticed this : "Ignored packages: In the preferences, you can
define a list of packages for which you do not whish to receive
updates. You can also use wildcard characters to define groups of
package updates you want to ignore. "
http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena_whatsnew.php

I think that's a feature someone on this list (Joseph S?) was wishing
for a while back.

alex