FLASH disk as swap

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Fri Dec 4 09:07:23 MST 2009

In my experience if you are regularly using the swap you need more ram. You
would do better to add a gig of ram then a flash device. this assumes you
dont have some extraordinary use which requires allot of data movement
making the swap necessary in which case I would still look at adding more
ram or another hard disk. Hard drives are going for .10-.50 a gig definately
worth it

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 8:35 PM, Stephen <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:

> I do but its in production as a xenserver...
>
> when we migrate the VM's off of it ill have some time to do this
> experiment.
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Bob Elzer <bob.elzer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about a large database maybe a couple of terabytes, and maybe lots
> of
> > users.
> >
> > And then lets say we spread our 6GB of swap over several disks.
> >
> > Maybe a system with 32GB of memory, and dual quad processors.
> >
> > Maybe we could run some tests, anybody have a system like this ???
> >
> > What does ebay and amazon and new egg run on, I heard they were doing
> lots
> > of processing for black Friday ?
> >
> > Well maybe.

James Finstrom
Rhino Equipment Corp.
http://rhinoequipment.com ~ http://postug.com
Phone: 1-877-RHINO-T1 ~ FAX: +1 (480) 961-1826
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rhinoequipment
IP: guest at asterisk.rhinoequipment.com