FLASH disk as swap

Kurt Granroth kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com
Thu Dec 3 17:05:43 MST 2009

On 12/3/09 9:39 AM, der.hans wrote:
> Having swap be 1.5 times the size of ram is good, double the size of ram
> is better.

Those are old-school heuristics from back in the day when 32 MB was a
lot of RAM.  I stretch to think of a case where 6-8 GB of swap would
come into play at *all*.  That is, if you have a case where the system
is using multi-gig amounts of swap, then I can almost guarantee that it
is utterly unusable.  One could say that it's there as a
"just-in-case"... but I'm having a hard time buying that.  Unusable is
unusable.  It would take so incredibly long to recover that any
production server would have long been rebooted or managed some other way.

I think I did 2x RAM up until I had 512MB and then 1x RAM until I got to
1GB.  Then I was .5x at 2GB RAM and finally .25x now ;-)