FLASH disk as swap

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:50:54 MST 2009

Oficially it doesnt NEED it, but it can greatly improve the stability
of a system and some smoothness of havy applications or anything that
was super clean in its memory allocation.

In a desktop its not an issue, but also not something i would do on
anything with less than 4g of ram.

in a server i would never not use swap.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM, kitepilot at kitepilot.com
<kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
>>> swap is generally not needed
> This doesn't correlate with my experience...
> But then again, my experience can be wrong.    :)
>
> What I (believe to) have seen however, is that Linux wants swap no matter
> what.
>
> I also tend to abuse the memory though.
>
> Is there an "official" answer for the question "Does a Linux computer need
> swap?"
> ET
>
> PS: Yo initialize a swap partition with mkswap.
>

> Stephen writes:
>
>> I have run Linux desktops without swap and most of the time it was
>> just fine (it had a large amount of ram so i don't think it cared.
>>
>> but what i understood of the issue now given the large amount of cheap
>> ram swap is generally not needed unless a program needs it for a
>> graceful moment

>>> Probably, but why would you want to?  For a normal desktop or server, I see
>>> a lot of disadvantages and no advantages over putting swap on a regular HDD.
>>>  Post up your specific reason for being interested in the question, and we
>>> can probably provide better advice.  If you really just want to know 'can it
>>> be done', I think the answer is "yes, but don't do it".

>>> A swap partition is its own kind thing.  It doesn't have a normal
>>> filesystem.
>>>
>>> alex

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

Stephen