O'Reilly ebooks in Android Market (Was: Re: Fwd: UG News: 45% off Ebook Purchases from O'Reilly)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Dec 2 21:08:34 MST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 20:22 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Interesting observation, Craig.
>
> After reading your note I went and looked in the Market.  I did a
> search "o'reilly" to see what would come up.  There were a great many
> ebooks available for purchase.  Just looking at the titles one cannot
> see the original publisher so I did not check many by opening a full
> description.  The titles showed the VAST majority associated with
> Microsoft technologies.
>
> This is not so different from a physical book store but I was
> disappointed that I did not see a single title associated with Linux.
> There was one on using Git, a glimmer of more to come, maybe?
----
I have found the market to be cumbersome to use and instead installed
the package 'Barcode Scanner' and then you can go to various sites on
your desktop computer like www.androidzoom.com (and there are many more)
that have the same package listings but more comfortably on your desktop
computer and they show a 'barcode' which you can just point the android
camera at and when it scans the barcode, it will automatically take you
to the package within the market and install it if you wish.

I find this much easier.

As I said, I felt that the flood of Microsoft Press items from O'Reilly
sort of like spam in the Market because they came through in a serious
wave and all the while I am thinking that they really don't know the
market very well but then I figured it out... that O'Reilly just adapted
their technology to publish on various handheld formats and Microsoft
must have footed a substantial part of the effort and I would bet that
all of those titles are also available on the iPhone too (good luck with
that).

Craig

believed to be clean.