2.6.31 kernel

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Aug 31 15:07:57 MST 2009

On 08/27/2009 09:42 PM, Ryan Rix wrote:
> Jim March wrote:
>> Osama Yo Mama uses terrorbytes!
>>
>> Ah!
>
> Oh, uhm... I agree...?
>
> To put things back on firm earth and on-topicness... Why on earth would
> Linus even waste his time on trying to get this much memory addressed in the
> kernel? What is the rational behind it, besides being a publicity stunt?

It's neither a waste nor a publicity stunt.  We've gone from x86-based
systems which could barely deal with 16GB memory to systems which fly
with 512GB in a very short 5 years.  It is absolutely reasonable to
believe that we'll see systems with 1TB memory in the next year or so.
If we see the same type of progression of capacity, we'll hit 32TB
systems in the next 5-6 years.

I'd *much* rather the Linux developers be ahead of that game than
struggling to catch up as systems with that kind of capacity come out.

Thomas