configure a test SSL

Nathan England nathan at paysonlinux.org
Mon Aug 31 13:47:50 MST 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009 01:37:03 pm keith smith wrote:

> Hi I am running
>
> Fedora Core 5 (I know it is a little old)
> Apache/2.2.0
>
> Local.
>
> I would like to setup a test SSL on my server that is on a private IP and used for testing.
>
> Is there a way to configure a test SSL?
>
> Thanks in advance!

This may or may not work for you, give it a shot...

cd /etc/ssl
openssl genrsa -des3 -out private/server.key 1024
openssl req -new -key private/server.key -out private/server.csr
mv private/server.key private/server.key.secure
openssl rsa -in private/server.key.secure -out private/server.key.insecure
# this one is split into two lines...
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in private/server.csr \
  -signkey private/server.key.insecure -out certs/server.crt

This will create a key requiring a password - server.key.secure
An exact key without a password so apache will start without requiring you to input your password - server.key.insecure
A certificate signing request - server.crs
A x509 signed cert using your new keys - server.crt

Good luck!

--

Nathan England
nathan at paysonlinux.org