Politics/Ethics: Operation PinWale - Obama Administration Seeks Emergency Control of the Internet

James Mcphee jmcphe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 08:47:23 MST 2009

Like anything else, email privacy depends on context.  I certainly am not
going to bother with "secure" email if I'm sending said email to a public
email list.  Point-to-point security is extremely easy with straight-up pgp
encryption.  Trying to handle secure email in a glorified dark net is a
whole 'nother conversation.

However, I think this is beside the point.  Just because something CAN be
read, doesn't mean it should be.  Technically it's possible to have a
policeman standing outside my bedroom window and watching everything I do
every day.  But we have protections for that and if someone does go outside
them, it's police harassment.  It's possible to have funny men go through my
sewage and log every calorie I eat and whether I have a low-fat diet and
report that info to my health-insurance.  For the protection of the other
policy-holders, of course.  I think we're getting caught up in what's
possible as opposed to what's healthy for our society.  The government is
not empowered to do anything they're not specifically forbidden from doing,
they're only empowered to do what we have decided we'd like to allow them to
do, and with a whole host of safeguards in place.

Obviously deficit spending isn't something the original founders thought of
at the time and we need to put some safeguards in to prevent that as well.

James McPhee
jmcphe at gmail.com