Politics/Ethics: Operation PinWale - Obama Administration Seeks Emergency Control of the Internet

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:31:54 MST 2009

mike havens wrote:

> I think only land oners should have the right to vote. I do not own
> anything so I would not get to vote.

White land owning men? :P

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM, James Lee Bell
> <nuclear-cowboy at cox.net>wrote:
>
>> Jason Spatafore wrote:
>> > Until the representatives are removed...we will constantly struggle
>> > with this so-called Democracy. Technology has finally caught up to
>> > where it can be used for a direct Democratic country with lower costs
>> > than running elections every two years. Now is the time to start
>> > implementing.
>> I rarely get involved in these discussions, preferring to lurk, but this
>> is a very intriguing concept that *might* actually be feasible and
>> achievable. All we have to do is figure out how to accomplish absolutely
>> unhackable authentication without violating every right to privacy we
>> hold dear.  Anybody want to hack that up by next Thursday? :-)
>>
>> > And yes, my first vote is to eliminate paper ballots and bar people
>> > without access to computers from elections. Sorry, a computer is
>> > available almost everywhere you go. It's time to grow with the times
>> > and move on.
>> I have to say I find this specific means-testing inappropriate just
>> considering simple demographics. Have we even broken the 50% threshold
>> of our eligible-to-vote citizens that could have access beyond dial-up?
>> Hey, you want to computerize (*securely*) the collection of votes in
>> such a way that folks in "flyover country (/sarcasm)" get to use the
>> mechanism without owning the device and infrastructure, and without the
>> yearly trip to Bethlehem, I'm right there with you. Give it 25 years,
>> and maybe every citizen will have some level of computing device to
>> participate. Until then...
>>
>> Just to take a philosophical hitch that'll probably generate a reaction
>> to put me back in lurk mode, I absolutely think there should be a simple
>> means test to earn voting rights: for the government entity in which you
>> are about to vote (fed, state, city), have you paid taxes to that entity
>> in x% of your eligible voting life (18+)? (asbestos underwear engaged

Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Fortune:
Been Transferred Lately?

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.