correct way to set timezone & clock/date?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Tue Aug 25 07:54:46 MST 2009

Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> I have a few systems here in my home that are either fedora or opensuse installs.
> I was setting up ganglia last night to add some monitoring to my home setup
> and discovered I had some issues with clock skew. When I got to looking I noticed
> that the timezones were set to MST and most of the systems were off by about
> a hour. What is the correct way to setup the timezone correctly for systems located
> here in Phoenix where daylight savings time changes do not take place?
>
> Also if you have a small home network what methods do everyone usually use
> to keep clocks in sync across the network? I.E. if you use NTP what externally
> reliable NTP server do you use?
> --
> Steven DuChene

I pick a host on my lan (VMware server or IPCop) to be my ntp server,
then use a near-by ntp servers to sync with. Your lan's dhcp server
(IPCop) can then hand out your lan's ntp server address to your dhcp
clients.

server dewey.lib.ci.phoenix.az.us
server ntp.drydog.com
are both in the vicinity, and I haven't had any problem with either of
them in the many years I've used them.

--
-Eric 'shubes'