correct way to set timezone & clock/date?

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 24 23:23:35 MST 2009

I have a few systems here in my home that are either fedora or opensuse installs.
I was setting up ganglia last night to add some monitoring to my home setup
and discovered I had some issues with clock skew. When I got to looking I noticed
that the timezones were set to MST and most of the systems were off by about
a hour. What is the correct way to setup the timezone correctly for systems located
here in Phoenix where daylight savings time changes do not take place?

Also if you have a small home network what methods do everyone usually use
to keep clocks in sync across the network? I.E. if you use NTP what externally
reliable NTP server do you use?
--
Steven DuChene