LVM extension into new space and partition edits

Alan Dayley alandd at consultpros.com
Mon Aug 24 16:49:59 MST 2009

I have lost the web page with the steps to do an extension of an LVM
into unused disk space.  Let me explain my situation and ask my
question.

I have a server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.  It had two 250GB
hard drives in a hardware RAID 1 mirror.  Working fine.  We needed
more space, so here is what I did:

- Bought two identical model and recommended 1TB drives from Dell.
(It's a Dell server.)
- Using the RAID control interface, I took one 250GB drive offline.
- Shutdown the server and removed the 250GB drive.
- Installed one of the new 1TB drives in place of the 250GB drive just removed.
- Powered up the RAID controller BIOS interface and commanded a
rebuild of the mirror from the remaining 250GB drive to the 1TB drive.
- Booted the system and everything was working.
- Shutdown the system and removed the second 250GB drive, replacing it
with the other 1TB drive.
- Again used the RAID controller BIOS interface to rebuild the mirror
from the first 1TB drive to the second one.
- Booted the system and all is working well!

Except...

Now the partition table of the mirrored 1TB drives still only has
partitions to use up to the old 250GBs.  I need to:

1 - Update the partition table to expand the last partition into the
unused 750GB of space.  (parted?)
2 - Expand the one or more logical volumes into the new space (lvextend)
3 - Expand the file system(s) into the new space (resize2fs)

I plan to expand /dev/sda5 into the empty space.  It is the last
partition defined and so the least risky to expand, in my mind.  Here
is the fdisk output:

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 248.9 GB, 248999051264 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30272 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1               1           7       56196   de  Dell Utility
/dev/sda2               8        1052     8393962+  8e  Linux LVM
/dev/sda3   *        1053        1077      200812+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4            1078       30272   234508837+   5  Extended
/dev/sda5            1078       30272   234508806   8e  Linux LVM
#

Question

I am extending into empty space on currently installed drives.  The
instructions I can find online all seem to assume a new physical drive
has been added and don't go into the partition issues on step 1 of my
outline above.  All the utilities and commands that produce LVM
information do not show the vast, unpartitioned space out there.  So,
I assume step 1 is needed to open up the unallocated space into one of
the partitions.

Am I on the right track, to use "parted" and expand the partition
definition before expanding a logical volume?  Or am I missing
something or making something more difficult?

Alan