MySQL DBA

Trent Shipley tshipley at deru.com
Thu Aug 20 16:27:04 MST 2009

I am used to seeing jobs involving MySQL as part of positions being
advertised for a LAMP generalist.  I never respond.  Not only am I not
particularly competent in any of the components, I have a hard time
seeing myself as competent to manage that kind of stack.  I actually
doubt many people are really competent at managing a LAMP stack all by
themselves.

However, I was recently looking for jobs on DICE and I saw
advertisements for dedicated MySQL positions -- with more emphasis on
DBA that development.  I can imagine being a competent DBA.  I taught
myself to work with Oracle and I like database work.

In the early 2000's Oracle was complex, DB2 somewhat less complex, SQL
Server was almost friendly in comparison, and MySQL pretty simple to
administer -- almost a toy compared to the big boys.  How much more
complex has MySQL gotten in the last five years or so?  What would be
involved in gaining competence.  Do you think you could read up on
MySQL, then find people stupid enough to let you work on MySQL
databases, preferably for money so you could get experience?  How would
you encourage such stupidity?