Cisco eqpt / possible job?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 20 11:44:38 MST 2009

  Haha, I knew the network admin that was supporting this infrastructure
for Maricopa County and left to work for another customer of mine
because of these atrocities 6-8 months ago, and smelled something like
this coming.  He was telling me about that guy, the politics of working
there, and all the reciprocity that was occurring between him, Cisco,
and the stereotypical good ole' boy network.  Namely him dictating
ridiculously overbuilt network hardware, hiring or giving kush contracts
to buddies/vendors, all while the impending doom of the recession we all
knew that was coming.  Funny to see it hitting the fan now later...
Your tax dollars hard at work indeed.  As a constituent, I wouldn't mind
grabbing a couple of liquidated Cisco gige access switches on the cheap
once it really hits the fan, seems only fair.  :)

  Working for VAR's, you quickly learn it's all part of the business
anywhere you go, and vendors like Cisco, Microsoft, Oracle, etc plus
their partners are really good at playing those games.  It's pretty much
how everything gets done around IT in government, and having worked with
a lot of the local municipalities in that capacity, I can attest its not
much different anywhere else either.

-mb