Best way to remove gnome?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Aug 19 17:29:57 MST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the help. The problem was in the .gconf/apps directory. I don't
>> know what file, but when I removed that directory I was able to login with
>> my old account. I still get that annoying error dialog whenever I log in,
>> but at least all I have to do is close it and I can use my system again.
>>
>> Ahhhhh....the joys of running Debian testing!
>>
>> Mark
>>
> What error are you getting?

It says:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

I apt-get update/upgraded four squeeze boxes on last week and now all of
them report this error whenever someone logs in. The user can cancel the
error and keep going. Except with my machine, I had to remove .gconf/apps to
get access to my user account in gnome.

Mark