Best way to remove gnome?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Wed Aug 19 17:10:53 MST 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 06:26 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> > I tried creating a new  account, and it works just fine. My old
> > account is messed up somehow. I removed all the .gnome* dirs in my old
> > account and did a reboot, but the account is still messed up. When I
> > log in, all I get is a blank menu bar and the background wallpaper.
> > Three processes take off and I have to reboot or the machine locks up.
> > Please see attached screen shot of top.
>
> I think you forgot the screenshot, but that's okay, it won't be that
> useful.  The .gnome* directories aren't the only thing effecting gnome
> settings, there is also .gconf which stores all the settings.  If there
> is no gconfd running you can just delete .gconf.  A bit brutal, but will
> work.
>
>                --Ted

Thanks for the help. The problem was in the .gconf/apps directory. I don't
know what file, but when I removed that directory I was able to login with
my old account. I still get that annoying error dialog whenever I log in,
but at least all I have to do is close it and I can use my system again.

Ahhhhh....the joys of running Debian testing!

Mark