Best way to remove gnome?

Austin Godber godber at uberhip.com
Wed Aug 19 06:33:14 MST 2009

Mark Phillips wrote:
> Since I can't get gnome to work with my existing user directories,
> what is the best way to remove all of gnome and then reinstall it on
> Debian squeeze?

I don't understand what you mean by "I can't get gnome to work with my
existing user directories".  Is it just that you have some old gnome
configuration in .gnome and .gnome2 in these home directories so that
gnome crashes or is all munged up when it loads?

I have found that when moving or syncing old home directories to
machines with new versions of the software it takes a bit of management
of the .files and .directories.  I would try with a new fresh user as
Ted has suggested and then start whittling away any . directory/file in
your home dir that might have gnome config info: .gconf .gconfd .gnome
.gnome2 ... etc.  Or back the whole dir up and then blast all the .files
and .dirs and see if it works.  Then if it works, just restore the files
you KNOW you need and use to your live home dir.

Austin