Best way to remove gnome?

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Aug 19 06:14:20 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 20:21 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
> Since I can't get gnome to work with my existing user directories,
> what is the best way to remove all of gnome and then reinstall it on
> Debian squeeze?

Chances are this won't solve your problem.  Unless you've messed with
things outside your home directory, reinstalling should put them back in
exactly the same place that they were before.  In general, desktop
packages install very few (if any) configuration files that would change
over time.

The easiest way to test to see if it's your settings or your install
though is to just create a brand new account.  If that works then it's
probably not the packages installed.  On Ubuntu we created a "Guest
Session" that'll do this (along with a bunch of other things) I'm not
sure if that feature has been imported into Debian or not.

		--Ted