Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" Alpha4 and the Intel video drivers...

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:34:58 MST 2009

Well, I haven't used gentoo, but I have used Redhat, Fedora, Centos, AIX,
HP-UX NCR-MPRAS, Ultrix, DG-UX, Ubuntu, OSF1/Tru64, Solaris, Slackware,
yggdrasil, and probably bunch I'm forgetting.  Oh yeah and a bunch of MS
windows systems.

Sometimes upgrades work, but most times it's easier to do the fresh install.

With a fresh install you know you're using the latest drivers and library's,
not some old ones that are still laying around and were missed in the
delete, or because they were being used during the upgrade.

Another thing a fresh install does, is get rid of all that extraneous crap,
like tons of upgrade files.

When you upgrade stuff, you don't know if it's working and using all the new
stuff, or because it's using some old stuff lying around.

Fresh installs aren't perfect either, so sometimes you have to skip and
upgrade, anyone remember redhat 8.

And as some say, if it ain't broke. As one Control Data Business plan
proved, when we went to a proprietary system to Unix. Management said
everyone will want the new stuff.

80% said, it wasn't broke. Thus the end of a great product. Because CDC
stopped making the old equipment.

LOL