Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" Alpha4 and the Intel video drivers...

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 18 15:04:40 MST 2009

On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 14:39 -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> Michael Butash wrote:
> > I guess I'm lame in assuming or expecting that if they're going to offer
> > an upgrade function, that it work.  Microsoft has punished people for 25
> > years thinking such heretical thoughts even trying to use their
> > *upgrades* between os's, but it's nice to dream that one day it might
> > just be reality with some os.  Ubuntu has been about as close as I've
> > found, though FreeBSD used to be really good about dist-upgrades too
> > when it was my choice in server os.
> >
> > -mb
>
> Here's a thought; Why do distros even need 'releases' at all? If a
> constant update cycle was used, rather than one huge dist-upgrade, these
> problems would hardly ever arise... And when they did, it would be with
> one or two components, hopefully NOT mission critical, and could be
> fixed with five minutes of hunting and updating an /etc config file.
> installer ISOs could be generated weekly or so, or just be netinst images
> I guess Distrowatch would be out of business in that case.
>
> Upgrades suck, I reinstall ;)
----
unfortunately it is not all around making your life easier but rather
there are libraries which provide dependencies for many different
packages and the incremental option will always hold back items because
software X requires newer version of library Y and software Z can live
with either but must be rebuilt to use library Y which is updated for
software X

It doesn't take long to figure this out when you start getting involved
with packaging software.

Craig

believed to be clean.