"Professional Recruiters"?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 13 14:51:42 MST 2009

Anyone else notice anymore an abundance of calls from
"recruiters" (which I use the term quite loosely) all seem to be coming
from sweatshop call centers out of various parts of the world?  Being in
the market for work lately, my res is flapping in the breeze on a few
job site, and it seems I get quite literally 4-6 calls a day from these
random *recruiters* that:

a) barely/don't speak english
b) don't know anything about the technologies they're trying to place
for
c) call about the same lame jobs that I myself can find scouring job
sites
d) most not even relevant to my held/proclaimed job title or skills
e) are just plain rude

I've gotten as many as 3 calls in 5 minutes from the same *company* with
different cannon-fodder reps calling me about the same job, so somewhere
a predictive dialer software is glitching.  Then they ask if I want a
job programming asp.net or something silly, just because my resume
mentions (begrudgingly) having windows skill, or something equally
asinine unrelated to my actual profession.  Once I'm annoyed and tell
them no, they practically instantly hang up to wardial/annoy someone
else.  Rinse/repeate frustration several times a day...

I figure I can't be the only person having this joy of a time, I'm just
curious how pervasive this "sweatshop recruiting" has become in our
field?

-mb