Webcam Recommendations

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Aug 13 10:58:12 MST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>wrote:

> From: Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>
> > laptop (P4)/Debian testing machine does not have a built-in webcam,
> > so I am looking for some recommendations for webcams that work with
> > Debian and Skype out of the box.
>
> FWIW, the the Logitech webcam I bought from Fried Hardware for $50
> works perfectly with Skype with any kernel recent enough to have the
> uvcvideo module.  Teh Almighty Google says it was a QuickCam
> Communicate MP.

I was looking at the Logitech QuickCam Pro (c905) for notebooks (also called
the Logitech 2 MP Portable Webcam C905 -
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-MP-Portable-Webcam-C905/dp/B000RZNI4S/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_-2_1_tit)
- comes with a case and desktop stand for a few bucks more. It has all sorts
of nifty gadgets, like low light image improvement, wide angle shots, 2M
pixels, intelligent face tracking, video effects, etc. Am I correct in
assuming all those nifty features will only work on Windows since I assume
they require the Logitech software to function properly. Am I wasting the
additional $30 bucks for features I won't see on Linux for awhile? Should I
stay with the lower resolution, cheaper, webcams because that is all that is
currently supported on Linux?