HP LaserJet

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Aug 12 21:02:43 MST 2009

Trent Shipley wrote:
> Eric Shubert wrote:
>> Trent Shipley wrote:

>>> It prints fine as long as I turn off the firewall.  I'm managing the
>>> firewall using KDE's Guarddog GUI tool.  There is some protocol that
>>> needs to be enabled for the dang thing to work.  Someone had mentioned
>>> opening port 9100.
>> I print to various network printers (HP included) from a firewalled
>> server. I have ipp (port 631) open for both tcp and udp.
>> (wasn't that port mentioned already?)
>> I have it configured with:
>> Device URI: socket://hostname
>> The hostname is resolvable via local dns. You could hard code an ip
>> address in its place if you like.
>>
> I opened port 631.  Nothing.
> Then I opened 9100 and it printed.
>
> So 631 doesn't work. 631 & 9100 works. I'm too lazy to see if 9100 would
> work.

9100 is the port used by HP's internal print servers (JetPrint).

You should be able to print just fine with only 9100 enabled.

631 is for CUPS servers and IPP printers, AFAIK none of the LaserJet's support IPP.

You may still want to open 631 on the localhost interface just so you can more easily manage the CUPS server on your box (if you open localhost:631 in a browser, you'll usually get a CUPS management interface).