HP LaserJet

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Wed Aug 12 16:35:51 MST 2009

Trent Shipley wrote:
> GK wrote:
>> Hey.
>>
>> HP's usually need the hplip and hpijs ppds. Throwing ing cups-pdf,
>> gutenprint won't hurt either.

> It prints fine as long as I turn off the firewall.  I'm managing the
> firewall using KDE's Guarddog GUI tool.  There is some protocol that
> needs to be enabled for the dang thing to work.  Someone had mentioned
> opening port 9100.

I print to various network printers (HP included) from a firewalled
server. I have ipp (port 631) open for both tcp and udp.
(wasn't that port mentioned already?)
I have it configured with:
Device URI: socket://hostname
The hostname is resolvable via local dns. You could hard code an ip
address in its place if you like.

--
-Eric 'shubes'